Senior Scientist NPD
- Category: R&D
- Country: United Kingdom
- Location: Milton Keynes - Hybrid
The role leads NPD R&D key strategic and technical projects and provides technical support for EIMEA’s operationally focused R&D work as required.
Responsible for both the invention of intellectual property, novel solutions, formulations and/or competitive advantages for the Company and support with researching, designing and qualifying product renovation opportunities. Balancing scientific rigor with the commercial needs of the business, protect the integrity of R&D whilst positively contributing to our commercial success.
Responsible for project leadership and indirect coaching and development, where needed. Working closely with marketing and other key departmental stakeholders, manages outside vendors, suppliers, and testing companies as needed for projects and product development to deliver against NPD briefs on time and in full whilst proactively seeking out innovation opportunities to bring to the business.
What You’ll Be Doing
1. Innovation and NPD
• Provides R&D lead support for innovation and NPD that supports the technical assessment of new product concepts, providing insight into technologies, packaging, chemistry, suppliers, manufacturers and patents.
• Identifies new underlying principles, new formulae, novel methods and technical solutions to accomplish commercial objectives for those groups supported, whether regional or global in nature.
• Creates sustainable IP either in-house or by effectively supporting and leveraging 3rd party partners.
• Develops and qualifies formulas, sources and tests packaging, proves product efficacy and claim support and ensures regulatory and R&D mandatory compliance.
• Maintains all necessary documentation in electronic and hard-copy format, within the chosen management tools provided by the company.
• Attends professional association meetings and conferences in order to advance the state of the company’s technical expertise and to create business relationships with external resources.
2. Operational Support
• Provides R&D support for allocated Operational MOC’s. This would typically include the qualification of new and alternative raw materials and components and the development and testing of new formulas and packaging.
• The R&D NPD scientist may be required to prove product performance, stability and claim support whilst ensuring both regulatory and R&D mandatory compliance.
• Attendance of manufacturer trial production runs may also be required.
What You’ll Bring To The Role
• Directly related CPG/NPD R&D experience, with Ph.D or Masters degree, preferred.
• Directly related CPG R&D/NPD experience and Bachelor’s degree.
• 4-6 years experience in consumer product development championing formulation science, aerosol technology exposure, and product qualification expertise in the areas of lubricants and cleaners. Chemical industry experience (Consumer Products Science preferred) solving highly complex technical and scientific problems to include chemical formulation and application of the scientific method.
• Degree in chemistry, material science, physics or related technical field.
• Ph.D. or Masters degree in a related field, preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to self-teach and develop higher levels of scientific skill and knowledge with no guidance.
Our competitive and comprehensive benefits package provides you protection, security, and peace of mind. We offer life-enhancing health, wellness, and financial programs, including profit incentive rewards, healthcare, generous pension contributions. In addition, we want you to recharge and take time off, so enjoy short-day Fridays, paid holidays, and an additional paid week off between Christmas and the new year to spend with family and friends!
WD-40 Company is a global company with its head office for Europe based in Milton Keynes. Our new facilities include a private onsite Gym in the center of Milton Keynes, just a short walk from the train station.
At WD-40 Company we believe that purpose-driven, passionate people guided by our values create amazing outcomes. Our “why” is refreshingly simple - we exist to create positive lasting memories in everything we do. We solve problems. We make things work smoothly. We create opportunities. How we achieve our “why” is by cultivating a tribal culture through learning, teaching and living our values. Since 1953, our formulation remains a secret. It is no secret that our passion for our people, culture, and brands is what distinguishes us. WD-40 Company has best-in-class products and we seek best-in-class talent
Do You Align With Our Values?
Please, only consider employment with WD-40 Company if you feel as strongly about our values as we do: We live, breathe, and play by our values every day.
• We value doing the right thing.
• We value creating positive lasting memories in all our relationships.
• We value making it better than it is today.
• We value succeeding as a Tribe while excelling as individuals.
• We value owning it and passionately acting on it.
• We value sustaining the WD-40 Company economy.