Senior Cost Accountant
- Category: Accounting
- Country: United States
- Location: San Diego - hybrid
WD-40 Company is searching for a curious, organized, and analytical Senior Cost Accountant that will be responsible for the valuation and accounting of inventory and Cost of Goods Sold (COGS), including transactions for materials, goods, and services through our 3rd party suppliers, as well as intercompany transactions.
This position works in our San Diego office, reports to the US Controller, and serves as a business partner to the Operations, Supply Chain, FP&A, and Accounting teams.
If you enjoy digging into the details, have a passion for performing in-depth analysis, and are looking to join a company whose purpose is to create positive lasting memories in everything we do while enjoying one another and our work as much as possible along the way, please consider joining our tribe.
This role offers the flexibility of working a hybrid schedule.
What You’ll Be Doing
Accounting for intercompany and inventory markup, and related transfer pricing support within the Americas, with complexity around foreign exchange and evolving international supply chain network.
Maintaining effective controls and reconciliations. Improving the company’s cost and inventory accounting processes by leveraging the existing and future ERP systems. Providing input, support, and guidance to other offices in the Americas on inventory and cost of goods sold accounting matters.
- Leading inventory and cost of goods accounting month-end processes, including journal entries and reconciliations.
- Monitoring and analyzing cost of goods variance accounts for accuracy and determines amounts to capitalize into inventory every quarter. Includes calculation of inventory turns to be used in quarterly capitalization entry.
- Accounting lead for all intercompany transactions within the Americas. Includes inventory markup accounting and tracking and provides support in establishing and managing transfer pricing.
- Leading the analyses and recording of inventory accruals and adjustments, including provision for slow-movers and obsoletes.
- Reviewing and ensuring the accuracy of all inventory balance sheet accounts and preparing monthly account reconciliations for all inventory balance sheet accounts.
- Reviewing and ensuring the accuracy of all product cost of goods sold accounts and partners with FP&A on analyzing variances to plan and to prior periods. Responds and provides supporting documentation for queries made by Finance or other parts of the business as it relates to inventory and cost of goods sold.
- Point of contact for supply chain and Finance on complex or unusual sourcing arrangements and transactions, costing, or inventory-related items.
- Preparing monthly gross margin variance schedules for the U.S. and Latin America.
- Ensuring that quarterly inventory reconciliations at distribution centers are completed monthly/quarterly and that any variances are addressed and recorded as necessary.
- Reviews and reconciles transactions with third-party packagers, such as invoicing, collections, and inventory reporting.
- Reviews/approves all contracts with third-party packagers and raw materials suppliers to ensure that accounting is understood and planned accordingly.
What You’ll Bring To The Role
- 5+ years of progressive accounting experience in public products company with inventory and cost of goods sold focus and international operations.
- Must have broad GAAP knowledge, and general accounting and general ledger experience, including financial analysis and other accounts reconciliation and analysis.
- Transfer pricing experience desired
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Accounting; Master’s degree in Accounting, desired
- CPA preferred (may not be currently active)
$82000 – $105000/ year includes base salary plus 10% - 15% profit-sharing contribution to your retirement account. Salary is determined by multiple factors including but not limited to relevant experience, knowledge, skills, other job-related qualifications, and alignment with market data
- Medical insurance, 80-95% company-paid premium
- Dental and vision insurance
- 401K match
- Annual cash incentive rewards
- Tuition reimbursement
- Short-day Fridays
- Paid holidays, including winter shut down
At WD-40 Company, we believe that purpose-driven, passionate people guided by our values create amazing outcomes. Our "why" is refreshingly simple - we exist to create positive lasting memories in everything we do.
Why You Should Apply
- Learning-based culture that supports the growth and development of all tribe members
- Strong values aligned culture whose #1 strategic driver is to build a business for the future that we will be proud to hand down to the next generation
- Over 93.3% employee engagement as of January 2022 global employee survey
- A culture where 93% of the tribe report experience a sense of belonging
- Voted Most Democratic Workplace and certified WorldBlu Freedom Centered Workplace
Please, only consider employment with WD-40 Company if you feel as strongly about our values as we do: We live, breathe, and play by our values every day.
Thank you for considering WD-40 Company in your career search! #WD40TribalLife #PositiveLastingMemories